This is a real treat – possibly one of my favorite ways to cook beef and pork. My mom used to make something similar when I was a kid, but with mayo, cheese and other effing delicious but not paleo-friendly stuff. I am having this for dinner tonight and I can’t wait to come after a 10 miler so that I can shove this deliciousness in my face. Hopefully it will make me run faster.
- 500 gr. beef steak or pork (I prefer beef to be not very lean, this way it turns out much softer and juicier)
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion cut in rings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 3-4 tbsp coconut cream
- Prepare your meat by cutting it into portion-sized steaks of somewhere around 1.5 cm thick, this way they don’t take ages to cook. Pound steaks to tenderize.
- Mix oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and half the garlic, cover your steaks with this mixture and let them marinate for an hour or two (if you have time) .
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 F).
- Take an oven-proof dish and start layering the ingredients – first onion rings, then meat, and finally mushrooms and zucchini.
- Beat 1 egg yolk and 4-5 tbsp of coconut cream, and a pinch of salt, pepper and remaining garlic. Poor this mixture over the top layer of grated zucchini.
- Cook in the oven till ready for 45-50 min, depending on the thickness of your meat.
- Don’t be surprised when your neighbors start knocking on the door asking what is that delicious smell coming out of your kitchen.